What is a Vehicle Tracker?
A vehicle tracking device has technology which uses GPS, (Global Positioning Systems) to enable a company to monitor the utilisation of its fleet of vehicles.
GPS & vehicle tracking for company cars allows for more efficient management of resources by providing information of how the vehicle is being driven, its fuel consumption, and its location at all times. Security is also an added bonus as any stolen vehicles can be tracked, located and recovered.
The two most widely used systems are 'Active' and 'Passive'.
1. The Passive option is one where all the collated data on the vehicle performance is stored and then downloaded onto a, computer when the vehicle returns to a pre-determined location; office, depot, garage.
2. The Active system collects information in exactly the same way, but transmits it, in real time, to the companies central location allowing for constant monitoring.
What Are The Costs for a UK Vehicle Tracking System?
Tracker systems for vehicles can be leased, purchased outright or outsourced to a third party who will monitor your fleet of vehicles for you, supplying you with all the relevant data you need.
Leasing an online tracking system varies in price depending on the capabilities required. For a 'Fleet Monitoring' system:
• the costs start from 49p-59p per vehicle per day
• this rises to 59p-69p for a 'Fleet Locator' system, and
• 69p-79p per vehicle, per day for a 'Live Tracker' system
These costs can be reduced if a contract is taken out with the leasing company for an extended period of time.
Another alternative is to pay a monthly or annual fee. Again, prices vary depending on the model of system chosen but can start from £9.99 per month or £109 annually for one system to £21.99 monthly and £249 annually if three systems are combined. For the early termination of any leasing agreement, a guide fee of £60 + VAT is charged.
Any other Options?
Should you require a system which just gives you regular updates on a vehicles location, the 'Passive Tracker' option is available.
Costs are dependent on the regularity of the updates needed and the duration of the contract entered into with the leasing company:
• For a system contracted for between three and six years and with updates every 10 minutes, the cost is from 70p-90p per vehicle per day
• For a system allowing more frequent updates, at five minutes intervals, the costs start from 75p-95p per vehicle per day
What about Purchasing outright?
Most companies prefer the flexibility of leasing their Tracking Systems but, should you prefer to make an outright purchase, prices for the hardware start from £200 with installation charges from £100. A satellite navigation tracking system for vehicles inclusive of installation is priced from £299.99 and the same system with the addition of a touch screen is from £399.99.