There are many reasons for a business to consider investing in a vehicle tracking system. It might be that you need to speed up travel times between customers. Perhaps you’re trying to decide whether overtime could be an option for your employees, and you want to weigh up the costs. It could be that you need to understand exactly how a job is being done, and whether it can be improved.
Tracking your fleet with GPS can save you time, money and resources, and increase the efficiency of your business across all levels. But buying a GPS car tracker can be a big investment, especially if you have a large number of vehicles.
So what should you consider when buying a GPS system? There are a number of things to take in to account regarding both the tracking device you want to buy and the supplier. It’s also important to think about where you will buy tracking devices. Knowing your business requirements will help you find the best GPS to buy for your company.
Buying A GPS System – What To Consider
What is the best GPS to buy? The answer depends on your business needs and the size and type of your company. Buying a GPS tracking system for your fleet can have a massive impact on the way you do business. It will give you access to an incredible amount of data that can drastically increase your operational efficiency.
Take some time to think about what you want your new fleet management system or GPS tracking system to be able to do. What are your specific business requirements? Taking these into account will help you get the best deal for your money.
- How many vehicles do you need to track? - The size of your fleet will play a large role in determining the overall price of the vehicle tracking system you buy. The type of vehicle you need to track also has an impact on the type of tracker you will need - there are important differences between GPS tracking for trucks and GPS tracking for cars. If you are thinking about implementing GPS tracking for a fleet this needs to be one of your main considerations.
- Do you need active or passive tracking? - An buying an active vehicle tracking system will let you track your vehicles in real time. This is useful for coordinating the fleet to increase efficiency on dispatches or pickups.A passive system will record driving data, which then needs to be downloaded. This is sufficient for insurance purposes, and is usually cheaper than active tracking systems, which often have a monthly fee.
- What information do you need to be tracked? - GPS tracking for businesses can provide different kinds of information – some trackers relay only basic mileage information, others will alert you to unfavourable driver behaviour such as speeding, hard braking and excessive idling. Some tracking systems will also be able to detect breakdowns, allowing you to react quickly. Some have a panic button, which is important for the safety of lone drivers. Taking your safety requirements into consideration will help you find the best GPS to buy.
- What kind of hardware do you want? - Are you buying a tracking device for fleet management purposes, to analyse and improve the efficiency of your fleet? Are you trying to lower your insurance premiums? Or do you need an anti-theft device? There are different devices that perform different tasks, and also differ in their installation. Anti-theft devices for example need to be installed in a non-visible spot under the body of the vehicle.
- What do you need the software to be able to do?
- Do you need dedicated user accounts? If yes, how many do you need?
- Do you need specific reporting? How should the data be collated so it provides the most value?
- Do you want to set up routes for your drivers to adhere to?
- Do you want to be able to set custom alerts?
- Do you want the option of accessing your tracking dashboard from a mobile device?
Choosing A GPS Provider – Check Before You Buy
When you buy a vehicle tracking system, it’s important to check out not only the actual tracker, but also the provider. You may end up being happy with the product, but unhappy with your contract terms or customer support. It’s important to understand that you are buying into a long term contract, and to do your research accordingly.
- What kind of support will you have access to? - When you buy a vehicle tracking system, you are buying in to a long contract, sometimes up to 36 months. So you want the right support to go with it. If you have a question, are you sure someone will be able to answer it? And, perhaps most importantly of all, is this support service free to use?
- What’s included in the price? - Will you have access to support, upgrades and training for free? Is installation included in the price? Will the unit be repaired (or replaced) at no extra cost to you and your business?
- How long is the contract? - Even if you are 100% sure that you have found the right supplier, you might not feel comfortable buying into a 36 month contract. When buying a vehicle tracking system you need to ask whether the supplier can keep up with the requirements of your business. It’s important to weigh the pros and cons of different contracts – longer ones will often have a cheaper monthly fee, but make sure to find out what feed will be charged for an early cancellation.
- What’s the supplier’s reputation? - How good are the testimonials, reviews, and feedback for the supplier? Five stars or one star, it all tells you something, and it shouldn't be ignored when you are thinking of buying a GPS vehicle tracker.
Where Can You Buy GPS Tracking Devices?
As with most things these days, you can buy GPS tracking devices online. Most suppliers will have their own website and support team, which you can contact to find out more specific information about their products and their availability.
When thinking about where to buy a GPS tracking device from you should also think about how to best compare devices and suppliers.
Each supplier will tell you about the special features of their product, and sometimes these features can be hard to compare to each other.
Is one feature more important to you than another? Are differences in prices justified?
In cases when you are not sure where to buy your car tracking devices, Expert Market can help you compare different suppliers and find the best deal for your business.
To make it as easy as possible for you, the team at Expert Market has reviewed the top vehicle tracking suppliers available in the UK right now. You can use this information to make an informed decision on where to buy from.
You can also compare GPS tracking device prices here.
It would be our pleasure to help you compare vehicle tracking suppliers and to find the right one that fits your business criteria. To get started simply fill in our web form. You will be asked about your business requirements so that we can provide you with quotes which are tailored to your needs. This will only take a few seconds and you’ll be ready to help your business move forward today.